Do not be deceived: “BAD COMPANY CORRUPTS GOOD MORALS.” —– I Corinthians 15:33
There are two questions I want you to ask yourself. Be honest. Honesty is critical for any healing and growth to occur.
1. How many times have you had knives stabbed into your back?
2. How many times have you stabbed some people in the back? Yes, you have to answer this question about yourself. To be honest with yourself is a must to ensure your heart is pure in that area. Hypocrisy must be avoided.
The term CHRISTIAN BACKSTABBING sounds like an oxymoron. How can two words be so opposite? Unfortunately, they do go very well together.
After personally experiencing Christian Backstabbing this past year and remembering my previous experiences, I felt it necessary to address this issue and bring it to the forefront of the Body of Christ.
CHRISTIAN BACKSTABBING needs to be recognized for what it is:
The Putrid Stench Oo The Flesh, From the Pit of Hell.
Christian Backstabbing needs to be dealt with appropriately —– crucified on the cross of Christ. One then needs to walk wisely to avoid future stabbings.
A Christian Backstabber will appear as a genuine friend. You will usually get to know the person over a lengthy period of time. The person becomes so trustworthy that you believe you have a true friend and brethren. Genuine brethren can occur for sure, but there is also the flip side to be aware of. Often, the person is not so genuine and you gradually begin to see more areas of flesh behavior come out.
The maturity of your walk with Christ will reveal how long a Christian Backstabber remains hidden from your knowing.
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
I have been a Christian 32 years. My immaturity with a broken heart permitted a few Christian Backstabbers to take advantage of my help. As I trusted two specific people over the years, I shared personal information about myself. (Not wise.) I also helped these people financially.
I have a servant’s heart and enjoy helping people’s needs be met. However, my immaturity and naivety showed because I went overboard with my sharing. These two people took advantage of my giving a hefty amount. When I finally confronted them about using me, I got the sweet smile that they will pay me back and help me when I needed it. They never came through. Instead, they actually started turning against me and accusing me of being ungodly. They gossiped about me and slandered me.
I sure felt the backstabbing. I was so deeply hurt and betrayed. It was a good growth experience, though I must admit I wished often God would get them and get them good. Even to this day, they avoid me and will not even want to talk about it. I have reached out, but they have shut the door. So be it. It is in God’s hand.
Does God honor their praising Him and turning a blind eye to a brother they had a problem with? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
These are some of the habits that the Christian Backstabber usually displays:
- They refuse correction, especially from biblical authority.
- They refuse to even acknowledge the possibility they are insincere and sinning.
- They will gossip, slander, complain, and covet about other people and what God is doing in their lives.
- They will boast publicly, looking for any ears to listen, about the great things God is doing in them.
- All the while, deep down the sinful flesh has taken hold and blinded them to the truth of God. Satan has much control over them.
- The biggest shame is how they walk around confidently showing themselves off with a puffed up pride. They also will have animosity and bitterness toward you.
Backstabbers are ravenous wolves and a ravenous wolf wants whatever you got. Paul talks about this to the leaders of the church of Ephesus. They will then tear you apart, shame you, and leave you stripped naked to die. They will also complain, gossip, and slander to you about others. Rest assured, they do it also about you to others. As much as you permit them, they will strip your dignity and your character. Remarkable is they will still think they are doing God’s will.
Therefore, you must be wise in whom you associate with.
- First, ensure you are not a Christian Backstabber.
- Walk wisely. Be wary of the company you keep. Remember the Scripture from the top of the blog: “BAD COMPANY CORRUPTS GOOD MORALS.” There are genuine Christians and genuine Christian Backstabbers, disguised as genuine Christians. Seek the Holy Spirit to teach you and reveal the truth behind everyone you meet. PRAY FOR THEM.
- As wrong and evil what the Christian Backstabber does, you are not responsible for their actions. You are responsible for yours. If they have hurt you, it is mainly because you permitted it to go that deep. Walk wisely to prevent this in the future.
Here is the Biblical approach for conflict resolution:
16“But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that (N)BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED.
The Bible mentions some strong things to be wary of regarding Christian Backstabbers. Here are a few.
- A dog returns to its vomit.
- Don’t cast your pearls before swine.
- Wolves in sheep’s clothing.
- Masquerade as angels of light.
- A tree is known by its fruit.
- “BAD COMPANY CORRUPTS GOOD MORALS.”
There are more words to add on this subject. That will be for another time or for another person to share. I have shared what is on my heart.
An appropriate ending is to remember that ONLY JESUS can heal every broken heart. JESUS IN YOU is who takes over and grows you through every situation – away from being a Christian Backstabber and desensitized when a Christian Backstabber puts a dagger in your back. Christ in you makes you capable of forgiving them. KEEP THAT FOCUS ON JESUS IN YOU.
Let the video BACK STABBERS by the O’Jays speak to your heart so the Holy Spirit can do a great work on you. Part of the ending lyrics is the person “wishing the back stabber will take the daggers of his back.” ONLY JESUS CAN DO THAT.